Pages

5.31.2013

cannes film festival 2013



Ah, Cannes.

I always like to look at the list of films shown at the festival each year. Even though some of the films may not be the most critically-liked films, this festival really showcases a variety of films from around the world.

I've already seen "Behind the Candelbara" (and I loved that film), and here is a list of films that premiered/were shown at Cannes that I'm excited to see.



Only God Forgives
USA release date: July 19

A film that is both booed and receives a standing ovation has got to be at least an interesting film, right? I'll admit, I cringe a bit every time I see the poster seeing Ryan Gosling's beaten up face. I've recently become a big fan of Ryan Gosling, and this film sounds very interesting, so I'll definitely see this, but whether or not I see this in theatres is another question.

Trailer:

---

Borgman
USA release date: N/A

Upon looking up information on this film on Google, one synopsis really had me hooked: "The story of an arrogant middle class family whose life is disrupted by the arrival of a new neighbor who could be the Devil."

Trailer:

---

Nebraska
USA release date: November 23

This seems like a cute, emotional, good-hearted film. I really enjoy the idea of a film about a father and son roadtrip filled with quirky events and people.

Clip:

---

La Vie d'Adèle – Chapitre 1 & 2
Blue is the Warmest Color
USA release date: N/A

When I saw this poster for the first time, I figured this was either anime/cartoon or comic book based, just due to the blue hair. I know that's stereotyping, but I rarely see a look like that outside of those genres. That doesn't stop me from being interested, though. The plot is a bit basic (the journey of two girls falling in love), but the reviews have been praising the dialogue, the acting, and the film overall. My curiosity increased as it was named the winner of the Palme d'Or, with the award also being given to the two lead actresses (Adèle Exarchopoulos and Lèa Seydoux).

Clip:

---

そして父になる
(Soshite Chichi ni Naru)
Like Father, Like Son
USA release date: N/A

This seems like it could a tear-jerker (or an eye-misting), heart-filled film. A Father learns that his son was accidentally switched after birth at the hospital, and faces the decisions as he learns to know and love his "new" son while continuing to love "his" son.

Trailer:

---

The Immigrant
USA release date: N/A

The clips for this film look so-so, but I'm a huge, huge fan of Marion Cotillard's and Jeremy Renner's so I'm going to watch this, even if it gets terrible reviews.

Clip:

---

Only Lovers Left Alive
USA release date: N/A

I'm so picky about fantasy films, especially those that involve vampires. I love Tilda Swinton and Tom Hiddleston, and this film looks really good.

Clip:

---

The Bling Ring
USA release date: June 14

I remember reading about the events in this film when they first happened, and I'm very intrigued to see how this film turns out. The reviews haven't been the best, and reviews for Sophia Coppola's last film, "Marie Antoinette", weren't the best either, but I love that film.

Trailer:

---

Fruitvale Station
USA release date: July 12

Ah, "Fruitvale Station". I've been so excited about this film since it premiered at Sundance earlier this year. I've only seen Michael B. Jordan in "Chronicle" and "Parenthood" (I guess I could add "Hardball" but it's been years since I've seen that film), and he was amazing in both of those films. All reviews for this film, as far as his performance goes, have been glowing, and I can see from the trailers and clips that his performance will be a good one. I know this is an early call, but like "The Place Beyond the Pines", I'm worried that it's slightly early release will cause voters to forget the performances in this film. Of course, only time will tell, but I'm very excited for this release (and next year's awards season).

Trailer:

No comments:

Post a Comment