Pages

5.15.2013

band concerts


I was ten years old when I started playing the clarinet, and I was 18 when I stopped. (In the five years since I graduated high school, I have not touched my clarinet once. I'm almost afraid to open the case.) I wasn't bad at playing, and even though I was First Chair my senior year, there was at least one person who was better than I was. (It was only because I was a Senior that I was First Chair. If this guy had been a Senior, he wouldn't have been Fourth Chair.)

Last week, my friend texted me, asking if I wanted to go with her to our band teacher's final concert. I couldn't resist. This guy was the best band teacher I had, hands down. He has been playing saxophone in the Army for 31 years now. He was probably playing that instrument longer than that! He was passionate about music, and it showed through the concerts he set up at the high school. He was a very strict teacher, and the best of us knew that you don't mess with him and you had to strive to do your best in this class.

I was fortunate enough to be in the Wind Ensemble all four years of high school. Not trying to brag or be mean, but I was better than the Concert Band. That was really a beginners band, or for those who really don't have much play time. I really enjoyed all the music I played, partially because I was in such a good band and all the sounds from the music just sounded beautiful, and also because the music really helped me grow as a musician. (I was also in Symphonic Band, and while I liked the music I played in there, the teacher wasn't the best, nor were her strings students.)

Anyways, back to last night's concert. I'm happy to say that the music played last night was amazing. I got to see three bands perform: Concert Band, Wind Ensemble, and Jazz Band. (That was in order of who played, and also level of talent.) Listening to last night's concert made me miss my clarinet-playing days.

Will I go out and attend symphonies now? No. They're expensive and they make me sleepy.

I'll present you with the setlist from last night, and link you to a few of my favorite selections. (I didn't record any of the songs, so selections from YouTube is what you shall be receiving.)

Setlist:

Concert Band
1. Matrix
2. The Muppet Show Theme
3. Impact

Wind Ensemble
1. Exaltation
2. Washington Post
3. American Folk Rhapsody #3
4. Gloria Estefan Greatest Hits

Jazz Band
1. That's Life
2. Sidewinder
3. Hot House
4. Angel Eyes
5. The Girl From Ipanema
6. A 5th of Beethoven
7. Manteca
8. Funkytown


And here is a picture of my dear ol' band teacher from last night:


No comments:

Post a Comment