Pages

7.12.2013

VA2013: day four (final day)

Trolley!

My final post on my escapades in Virginia!



Parking sucks in any "downtown" part of a city. Well, the fact that the majority of parking is in garages that are overpriced suck. Rachel and I had an 11am trolley tour, and she dropped me off at 10:45. Thankfully, like two minutes before we were scheduled to leave, she was able to get on!

Nashville doesn't really have trolley's. I've seen some around the Opryland Hotel area, and maybe downtown, but nothing too frequent. Like this one, it's more tourist-y, it seems like. (When I lived in Massachusetts, I remember seeing them all the time. Then again, I lived in a small town, and my family walked around a lot, so maybe that's why I remember them there a lot.)

We're so high...

Yeah, I don't like heights. So, when we were on this bridge for what seemed like ten minutes... well, I couldn't help but stare out in fear the whole time. (How I get onto airplanes to travel internationally, I have no clue. Heights freak me out.) It was a nice view, and we could see a lot... but being on the edge of a bridge impaired my enjoyment a bit.

A view without a door in the way!

Afterwards, Rachel and I met her roommate and her friend at a very nice French restaurant, Bistro Bobette. I don't ever eat authentic French food - at least not outside of France, only because there's limited quantity and it's pricey - but Rachel and I saw this online and were very interested to go.

La (le?) menu.

It was a quaint little restaurant. It wasn't a big restaurant, more cafe-sized. We got there at 1:30, an hour before they closed. (They didn't kick us out at 2:30, they didn't act bothered that we stayed until 2:45.)

BREAD.

I love French bread.

French hot dog.

That's right, I got a hot dog for lunch. I actually ate these all the time while in France, so it brought back good memories. The bun was a cheesy French bread, and the dipping sauce was a spicy mustard. It was all so good!

Afterwards, we headed over to the Poe museum. I was able to get a student discount, so instead of paying $6, I only paid $5. Hey, it may be only a dollar less, but every little thing counts!

Entrance.

Like Monticello, this is a very authentic old house. All the rooms were so small! The four of us took a guided tour throughout the property, learning lots of history about place. Our tour guide was amazing. He was friendly and incredibly knowledgeable. He loves the place and the history surrounding it and Poe, and it showed. Rachel and I regret not finding out his name, but hopefully all the guides there are just like him!

In the last room, we got to meet the orphaned kitties. A few months ago, a box of three kittens were dropped off in front of the museum. One of the guides kept the girl kitten, while the two boys remain at the museum. Their names are Edgar and Pluto, and we got to meet Pluto! He was a cute, all black-kitten who was just so happy and purring at the attention we gave him. He tried scampering away once put on the ground, but the guide picked him right back up. Unfortunately, I didn't get any pictures of him.

En francais.

There was a room with a special French exhibit. Poe was very popular in France.

I spot a Poe statue!


And there you have it, my trip to Virginia! I left out some little things, but showed you all the bigger things. I had so much fun, and I really do appreciate Rachel letting me stay with her for the duration of the trip. I'm definitely going to head back there for the future. (Hopefully it won't be raining at much! Though it's been raining so much here in Nashville since I've returned...)

I'll be seeing Pacific Rim sometime in the next few days. I couldn't see it last night - I was broke - and while I initially decided to see it Sunday morning, I'm thinking about seeing it tonight. I'm incredibly excited for that movie, and while I woke up at 7am this morning have to wake up at 8am tomorrow morning... well, we'll see what happens!

No comments:

Post a Comment