Pages

6.17.2013

#moviereview - The Purge

★★★☆☆


I do realize this came out a week ago, and while I did see this opening weekend, and actually had some of this review written... I was feeling a bit out of it last week. Sorry for the delay!

I remember seeing the trailer for this movie a few months ago and being terrified by it. It wasn't until a month or so ago that I went back and looked up this movie, and suddenly my interested in this movie sparked. This movie has a good idea, and I figured it could be a decent horror film.

My Dad and I decided to go see this movie this lastSunday, after we realized we couldn't see Fast 6 that day. Was it a good decision to this over Fast 6?

[spoilers ahead]




The year is 2022, and America is a nation reborn. The film starts out with clips from previous purges, from years 2016-2021 between March 21-22 of each year. We are explained the rules of the purge, and we learn that Level 10 officials cannot be harmed (so no killing the President), and that all weapons above Class 4 are forbidden to use during the Purge (so I'm assuming bazookas are out). The film focuses on the Sandin's, a family who, while they support the Purge, aren't violent people who feel the need to harm or kill on this night.

I was very interested in this movie. It made me think, could our society really do that? Could we have a 12-hour period each year where violence was nearly 100% acceptable? But as I watched it, I started to like the true idea behind it less and less. In the commercials, the premise seems to be vague - there's just that 12-hour period of violence. Of course, you have to see the movie to see how it really began and how the country is down to little poverty, little crime, and little homelessness. Many of the people that are killed in the Purge's are homeless and or disabled, so they cannot defend themselves. The government put into many people's heads that these people brought down our society and it was okay to target these people in these events.

Normally, I don't let movies get me overworked. I know they're just movies and, unfortunately, people do take some of this seriously and perform acts of violence, or otherwise, based on events that took place in various forms of media (movies, video games, etc). The idea of our society being "a nation reborn" and being so perfect due to the fact that we got rid of the people who "brought down our society"... Yeah, it made me a bit mad, but I quickly got over it, knowing that something like that could never go down in our society.

Do I mind that I saw this movie over Fast 6? Honestly, I was always more excited about this movie than Fast 6. Other than the few things that irked me about this movie, I did enjoy this movie. It wasn't long, but I don't know if I could have handled this movie more than it's 80-ish minutes. Would I recommend this to people? Well, if you're up for a film that glorifies violence for 80-ish minutes... Seriously, if you're up for a good thriller, I'd recommend this. This definitely isn't a film for those who are trying to steer away from a violent thriller.

No comments:

Post a Comment