Pages

4.21.2013

#recipe - mapo tofu

In 2012, I visited Japan for the third time. For a few days, I decided to stay in Yokohama, and of course I visited Chinatown. At this one restaurant, I tried this unique dish with beef and tofu and a spicy red sauce. There was no English menu, and I just pointed at one of the few pictures within the Japanese text. 

Despite my initially shocked reaction, this dish was so good! 
 Last week, while searching various Asian dishes, I came upon one, "Mapo Tofu", that described exactly what I had eaten in Chinatown. For a year, I kept thinking about this dish that reminded me of beefaroni (sub the noodles for tofu and make the sauce spicy). 
Tonight, I have decided to make this dish!


 
I tweaked a recipe from Closet Cooking. I didn't have some of the ingredients, I substituted some for items I had, and used less than what was recommended in that recipe. So, I'll list the ingredients that I used: 
1/4 pound ground pork
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons ginger (chopped)
2 tablespoons chili bean paste
1 tablespoon spicy Szechuan five spice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/4 pound firm tofu
4 tablespoons cabbage
1 tablespoon endives
5 dashes of pepper flakes 


Some of the main ingredients. I found all of these at Krogers.

 Directions: 
1. Fully cook the pork. Place it on a plate. 
2. Using the same pan, pour in the chili and sesame oils. 
3. Add the garlic and saute for a minute. 
4. Add: chili bean paste, Szechuan spices, soy sauce, and chicken broth. Simmer for five minutes
5. Add tofu. Cook for two minutes. 
6. Add the greens and pork. Cook for two minutes. 

And you're done! 

Step 4. Watching everything simmer.
Tofu. 
Cabbage. The Endives are hidden. 
Bon appetit! 
I wasn't too fond of my recipe tonight. The tofu was too big, the pork wasn't cut into small pieces, and I was expecting more broth like I originally had. But, practice makes perfect! 

This dish was incredibly spicy. I don't mind some kick to my dishes, but this had an overwhelming amount! I'll definitely remember that for next time. 

I hope this helps whoever may be looking for a mapo tofu recipe! I will, of course, update here when I find a perfect recipe.  

No comments:

Post a Comment